Yes, there exists such a thing as writer's cock block.
The fiction writing class I'm in revolves around the workshopping of stories written by us (the students). There's only about 10 of us so over the course of the semester we've all become a pretty tight knit group. A lot of this has to do with the fact that we read and discuss each other's stories which is one of the most personal things a writer can do - allow someone to not only read their piece, but offer raw feedback.
You come to learn your habits when composing a story; some grammatical and others much more complex.
I've found that now that I've become more aware of my own flaws, it's much harder to write. I know where I want to go with the characters and how I want events to play out, but it's the process of smoothly getting there without reverting back to under developed characters/relationships, mistakes in plot, or a sense of absurdity in the character's actions that proves itself a challenge.
Thus, I have writer's cock block. I have been cock blocked by the students in my class. Though it may be for my own benefit and I will become a better writer for it, writing my current story is proving to be a bitch. I need action.
Are you in David Haynes' class?
ReplyDeleteYou should participate in Espejo's Flash Fiction contest!
I have Dominic Smith.
ReplyDeleteWhat is that?