Wednesday, November 17, 2010

This guy....

I'm just a little bit of a Shakespeare buff, I've taken more than just one or two classes on the matter and so I'm proud to say that I can find my way around his plays pretty easily.

Every teacher I've had has been obsessed with a different component in his texts. Some like to study racism, others the environment, and as for my current... well, she's obsessed with sex. Those that I speak to on a regular basis have probably heard me refer to her as the crazy Canadian. As the name implies, she's full blown Canadian. I never had anything against the Canadians. Despite the fact that their pronunciation of a good majority of the english language is annoying and sometimes obnoxious (i.e. crevasse = crevASSe), I never really had a problem with any of them. 

Then again, I had never met a Canadian nationalist. To sum things up in euphemistically, she's a Canadiangelist. Much like an evangelist, except to Canada and not Christianity. 

None of this really has anything to do with the story I'm about to tell except the fact that she's the one who first told it. I, being extremely biased towards everything she says because I really don't care for her, found it to be very out of character for her because it was funny. Then again, it's about sex so I guess it wasn't too far fetched.

King James. We all know who he was. Pretty average guy, was named King of Scotland at the mature age of 13 (months, not years) but most well known for his reign over England. Anywho, I could bore you with his biography but I lack the time and the knowledge.

While discussing the end of Othello my teacher began on a tangent about the consummation of marriage at this time. Turns out, back then, right after the wedding the newlyweds would get in a bed (covered with a curtain) that was present at the ceremony to... well... you know. 

The people present at the ceremony would party around the bed while this was taking place. Well, our friend James was known for sticking his head into the curtain at every wedding he attended to offer words of "encouragement."

I don't know... I just thought it was hilarious to think of this guy:

Popping his head in on such an act.

2 comments:

  1. So, hey, what's up...
    My Shakespeare professor this semester was British, and he too was obsessed with sex, and told us how the words 'horny' and 'cunt' come from Shakespeare... anyways...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We learned that tupping means fucking.

    so much fun. come back from london and lets hang out.

    ReplyDelete